Saturday, June 1, 2013

Beckham Curt Jarvis. :)

We have another boy!! :) Beckham Curt Jarvis was born on May 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM weighing 7 lbs even and measuring 19 1/4 inches long. We finally decided on a name only three days before he was born, up to that point we just sort of had a huge list of names that either one of us liked, then all of a sudden I just knew which name it would be. Jeremy agreed and then it was decided, it just felt right. :) But we were quite surprised when he decided to come 11 days early!

Here is me about three hours before he was born, at 38 weeks and 4 days. :)

About an hour and a half before we met him! I'm about to try out the pool. :) And yes, I realize that I am white as a snowman. ha ha. No bikini's for me.


So, here's the story. :)

I had been having a lot of Braxton Hicks and they were gradually turning into contractions the closer I got to my due date over the past few weeks, usually in the evenings I would have the most but they were all random so I never thought anything of it. Well, last Thursday night I had quite a few before bed, but like I said, that had been happening a lot, so we went to bed. I slept until about two in the morning and realized that contractions were waking me up, so I started timing them just to see if they were consistent or anything. I started getting all nervous because after two hours they were 10 minutes apart and about a minute long, I thought that I just might be in labor, but I waited to call anyone. Two hours later, at six in the morning they were still 10 minutes apart and a minute long...I wanted to make sure it wasn't pre-labor so I tried getting up and moving around, showering, eating...then getting back in bed. Nothing worked, so I called my mom at six and told her what had been going on and we decided that I would just keep her updated since they hadn't gotten any closer together. 

Throughout the next day they got super random, but always less than 30 minutes apart, sometimes only five minutes apart, it was crazy! I called my midwife around lunchtime and we decided that if anything was going to start it would be that night, so Bridger and I went to lunch with Jeremy and I went to the chiropractor. My parents decided to just head up after work that night, which took a huge load of stress off my shoulders since I had NO idea when to call them since they live four hours away! 

That night was the same as the night before! Totally random contractions that were all over the place but strong enough to keep me awake... The next day they were still random and we decided we might go to the zoo with Bridger, but my midwife wanted to come out to our house and check me to see what was going on with these contractions. 

Let's just say we cancelled our zoo trip.

I was at a 3+ so we decided we would just go out to dinner instead. We set up our birth pool and got towels and everything ready before we left, just in case. I wanted to eat really light just in case I did go into labor that night so we went to...Olive Garden! (as if anything there can be considered "light" haha). While we ate I kept timing my contractions and noticed that they had been random but less than 10 minutes apart, finally. Our waiter was totally nervous because my dad warned him I was close to delivering, he was like shaking while he served us and kept looking at me like I was a ticking bomb, ha ha. Anyway, we left Olive Garden and I let the midwife know about the changes, she decided to head out to our house. We got home and put Bridger to bed, then she checked me and I was a 4+, so she told Jeremy and I to go for a walk to see if it would get things moving. 

Bridger thought this pool was SO cool. He wanted to get in!

I'm not kidding. Like 1 minute after we walked out the door I had to stop every minute or so for a contraction! It was the longest walk ever! ha ha. When we got back they were still coming, so I changed and Jeremy and I hung out in our bedroom for about an hour and a half while I labored, then we headed downstairs and I got in the birthing pool to see if it would take some of the pressure off my back but my body was just too hot so we got out. My contractions were still totally random, but when my midwife checked me at about 11:30 I was already at an 8. They were so intense, I asked my midwife about how long she thought and she said maybe a couple of hours...I almost cried. ha ha. I just kept focused. It turned out to be only about 10 minutes...she asked me if I felt like I needed to push a few minutes later and I told her I didn't know...I went to the bathroom and then I knew it was close. When I got back to the living room it was only two 30 second contractions a minute apart before they told me to get in the pool if I wanted to deliver in there, so I got back in. Jeremy didn't plan on being in there when I gave birth, but I started having a contraction and he jumped in to do pressure on my lower back to help, then right after that our baby came, he didn't have time to get out. :) ha ha. My water broke right before I started pushing, I pushed two times and our beautiful baby Beckham was born, the cord was wrapped around him during that second push, but my midwife took care of it so fast I hardly realized...then he was in my arms and I couldn't believe I had really given birth to him and that he was here! My mom was so surprised, and she told everyone we had a boy! He was so calm, he just stared into my eyes, then Jeremy spoke from behind me as he looked over my shoulder and Beckham looked right at him...he knew his daddy's voice. :) It was amazing...and I have one devoted and awesome husband, ha ha. Actually, now he is glad he was in there with me, he got to see everything from a different and more involved perspective and he loved it. 

My mom timing contractions. :)

Listening to the baby's heartbeat. :) We decided to get out because his heartbeat was getting too fast from the hot water. Jeremy thought it was sweet...a hot tub in our living room.


Back in the pool and holding our brand new boy. :) The assistants warmed towels up in the dryer and put them right over us.

Beckham's lungs were wet when he was born, so we got out of the pool and our midwife gave him some oxygen while we worked on getting him latched on to nurse, Jeremy gave him a blessing and pretty soon he was nursing and doing fine. We left the placenta attached to him until the cord stopped pulsing, so it was about an hour before Jeremy cut the cord, then he got to weigh him. :) We went and showered then climbed into bed, our midwife and her assistants came up and gave me hugs and a few instructions, then left at about 3:30 in the morning.

So, in the end, my contractions weren't consistent, they were all over the place up until the time I delivered this handsome little guy. For almost two days I had "sort of" labor, pre-labor maybe? Then my active labor was about 3 hours long and with two pushes, and Beckham was here! :) I couldn't believe it...I still can't believe it and the time is just going so fast! 

Jeremy weighing Beckham. :)

First time holding his boy. :)

Grandma and Grandpa Brown holding Beckham for the first time. :) I'm so grateful that they were able to be there. My dad took pictures for us and they were both a great support, I was so happy to share Bridger's and Beckham's births with them. 

I just have to say that I absolutely love my midwife and her assistants. The two ladies who assist her are working on becoming midwives themselves and they helped me so much. Jeremy took care of the pressure points on my back and one of them was always there to push on my legs, it helped so much! The three of them are so calm and really tried to stay in the background of everything, just quietly supported me, which is exactly what I needed. I loved the relationship that developed between my midwife and our family and the way she handles things...she is no-nonsense, blunt, calm, and she knows what she's doing...and I'm so grateful to have found her. :)

Bridger got to meet Beckham in the morning when he woke up and he was so surprised! He seemed amazed and just kept touching his hands and head because he was so curious, he did awesome. :) All day he kept coming to me to check on his baby, he would hold him for a few seconds, then run off to play and come back a few minutes later. So far he has been so good about being gentle and loving to him, it's so cute. 

This is the very first time Bridger saw Beckham, I love his face. :)



He was so enthralled, he kept touching his hands and his head, trying to figure out where this little guy came from and if he was real or not! ha ha. Every time he moves he gets all excited. :)


He loves him. :)


My boys! :) I am so grateful for them and I love them forever. :)

I can't believe we have two kids! :)


5 comments:

  1. You have such a beautiful family . Thank you for sharing your delivery story. I 'm so glad everything went so well and I love all the pictures especially the one with Bridger and his cute face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! He is adorable, and I love how excited Bridger is. Love the name, too:) Maybe our Beckhams can be buds:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's beautiful Kaylee! I didn't realize you were planning on a birthing pool, and give Jeremy a high five for being an awesome husband and dad. (I told Aaron he was there with you and he just let me know now he wasn't going to be so supportive. lol.) Congratulations! I'm glad Bridger loves being an older brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how Bridger likes to touch different body parts on Beckham, especially his nipples. Haha, so funny! I'm glad this birth experience was much more pleasant. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.