Jeremy and I celebrated our five year anniversary at the end of September...five years! I feel like it's only been a couple years, it's weird. We had a blast, though! My parents kept the kids overnight and we stayed in "our" room (it's a honeymoon suite, we stayed there on our wedding night, and on our first anniversary), we went to dinner that night at the Gun Barrel in St. George, which was amazing, then we drove back over to Hurricane so I could nurse Beckham and put him to bed. Afterward, we drove back to our room in St. George, and of course...we had our sparkling cider. :)
The next day we woke up and had breakfast at the hotel, put together a lunch in a backpack to take with us and drove up to Springdale to rent a couple of mountain bikes. I had never been before, Jeremy had been quite a bit in high school, but we decided we wanted to try something new together. I was pretty nervous about it, I seriously had not ridden a bike in like five years (that's kind of sad). The guys at the bike shop totally hooked us up with an amazing deal and told us about a great trail that starts near Sheep's Bridge.
Well. We drove down there and parked, then ate our lunch before getting the bikes out and ready, then we started off. OH, and they told us this was a trail that was intermediate, but beginners would be just fine.
Let me just say that it was way harder than I thought it was going to be at first! gah. Here is a little snippet of my experience:
Jeremy was riding ahead of me and I was trying to follow what he was doing so I could make it up the rocks and stuff, I had never ridden a bike with shocks before, and it felt so wobbly and shaky. Jeremy started going pretty fast because I was staying up with him pretty good...
Me: *arms burning and tense, gripping my handle bars with white knuckles as the trail goes into a straight drop off into death on the right side* "I feel drunk!! Is this really how it is supposed to be??" As I kept trying to stay up with him, pedaling like crazy.
***We found out when we took a break that my wheel was loose!***
No wonder I felt drunk. :l And it was much easier after that...and probably safer...
Let me explain this drop off into death. The trail, literally, was like two feet wide for the most part, the left side was a hill, and the right side was...nothing. Like, it was a cliff, and at the bottom there was a river...I am pppprrrrreeeettttyyy sure I wouldn't tell people this was a trail ok for beginners!! I was terrified. Nowhere to go but straight, right? ha. Scary, but for some reason so fun...
I want to go again, I really did love it. It was beautiful out that day, overcast and perfect, and just the two of us out there. It was really nice to just be together, alone, for awhile. We loved it so much. Hopefully soon we can go again. :)
Sunday, November 9, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.