Ok, I am sure there are people wondering what is going on with our little house and family! If you haven't heard already, our house flooded really bad. We left Saturday morning to go test drive some cars and ended up being gone for twelve hours, so from 8 am-8:30 pm. We were so tired, ornery, and exhausted and stressed. The day had already been ridiculously long and crazy, Bridger hadn't eaten anything but Doritos and Fruit Loops and hadn't had a diaper change or a nap all day, and Jeremy had homework to do still. We had been trying to get out of the stinkin' dealership for a few hours. They finally told us to take the car home that we had been looking at with the understanding that if we didn't want it, we had until Monday to bring it back or it would be ours. SO. We were like, whatever! Let's get out of here! So we left our RAV there and drove home this brand new car.
Well.
About two minutes away from our house I was like, "Jeremy. The garage door opener is in the RAV." And then it clicked that our keys were too, so we had no way to get into our house! GAH. Jeremy called a friend of ours begging him to have a house key we left with him over a year ago, and I was praying my little heart out. Guess what? He did. Whoo hoo! So I dropped Jeremy off in front and he walked through the house to open the garage for me...as soon as I pulled in I knew something was terribly TERRIBLY HORRIBLY wrong. You know how in a garage, the cement meets drywall a few feet up? Well, at that crack there was a waterfall of water coming out, and the car lights were just reflecting off of it. I started panicking, hoping it was just the laundry room...maybe the washer did something? Jeremy was so mad, he wouldn't tell me what happened, so I grabbed Bridge from his carseat and ran inside to see that our kitchen, laundry room, and half bath were filled with standing water, probably about a half inch. I couldn't believe it. Then I walked into the living room on squishy carpet and set Bridger on the couch before I heard something like another larger waterfall in the basement. Water was literally POURING from the basement ceiling, insulation was falling from the ceiling and everything was drenched. I was horrified. Our kitchen floor was squishing when Jeremy bounced on it and I thought it was going to fall through. Needless to say. I freaked. I called my dad practically crying and asked him what we were supposed to do, I felt like our house was drowning in an ocean. I had a feeling this was too big of a mess for us to handle on our own.
I ended up calling Tim Graham, the second counselor in our bishopric, who actually works for a disaster company. He had someone there within 15 minutes and then called in the elder's quorum to start moving things from the basement to the garage. While this was happening (at like 10 at night) I fed Bridger a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and Jeremy had to take a test for school upstairs. SO many people showed up to help and we are so grateful for all the help, it was so overwhelming.
I was under the understanding that Tim probably sees this kind of stuff all the time, and when I told him that, he was like "....no, this is probably the worst flood in the last year and a half..." Then I realized how bad it would really probably be.
Oh, and do you want to know what started all of this? We have a half bath on our main floor...a small tube disconnected beneath the vanity and was spraying water. And we were gone for twelve hours, pretty crazy, huh? Something so small...I'm afraid to see our utility bill after all this...SO so so so many gallons of water...hopefully homeowner's will cover that.
Around midnight they sliced holes in our hvac system and water started pouring it out...it poured for around twenty minutes. So...our heater didn't work that night. It was a chilly 58 degrees all night. :) The next morning we packed and tried to get some sense of our lives under control. Before we left we were told that our entire kitchen, laundry room, and bathroom would have to be gutted as well as our entire hvac system. Cabinets, floors and all. We watched them tear out the baseboards and they had to cut up two feet on the wall throughout all the rooms and put fans in there to dry it all out. Anyway, we left around 1:30 on Sunday and grabbed some lunch at Del Taco and let Bridger play on the jungle gym for awhile. Then we drove to Jeremy's uncles house in South Jordan and stayed there for the night.
I headed back to our house Monday afternoon after I got our RAV back (we were so glad! ha ha) and dealt with insurance stuff and learned that the carpet will probably have to be replaced as well, so our entire living room got moved out to a storage pod in front of our house. If they can't find carpet to match exactly they will recarpet our entire house. Same goes for cabinets, if they can't find the exact cabinets, all of our cabinets will be replaced (upper and lower). I go back Wednesday to go through everything in the basement that got ruined and meet with the insurance guy.
I haven't been handling it all that great I don't feel like. We can't live in our house for 3-4 weeks. The insurance will pay for a hotel which we might end up doing next week. This week we are staying in South Jordan, probably until Thursday or Friday, then Jeremy has drill for three days and my brother is going down to Hurricane. Hurricane is where I REALLY want to be, but Jeremy couldn't be there and I'm not sure when they will need me at our house, so I can't stay there for the whole time. If there was a place for us to call home besides our very own house it would be Hurricane, at my parent's house. I just really need some stress relief at this point. ha ha.
All three of us got sick in the past three days, we haven't been sleeping well (restless legs, being sick, different house, stress etc), our house is gutted, and I have a few other things that were weighing on my mind before all this happened. I know I need to be careful because I want our little baby to be safe and this much stress is definitely not healthy...pregnant or not, ha ha. I almost start crying every five minutes, which is not normal for me, I feel like everything is crazy and my comfort and security bubble got completely burst. We aren't even eating healthy. Tears are coming again so I better stop, ha ha.
There's not much anyone, even us, can do at this point. We just have to wait until they can get our house put back together and hopefully our homeowner's will pay for everything. :) At least it will be all nice and clean and new and organized before our baby comes, ha ha. Well, hopefully. And hopefully our furniture makes it ok getting moved around and everything.
Thank you for all the concern from everyone!! We have definitely felt the love these past few days. We have had multiple offers of extra bedrooms, dinners, babysitting, and just general questions of asking if we need help. We have the best family, friends, neighbors, and ward members we could ever ask for. Seriously. That makes me cry too. Actually. It's been such a blessing to know people care.
Even with everything that has been going on I feel the Spirit with us, and even though it's hard I know He is helping us, and I am so grateful.
This was so long. But I will keep everyone updated the best I can. I'm a little nervous about the insurance guy looking at our house on Wednesday, hopefully it goes good. :)
Thanks again, everyone. :)
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So sorry you're facing such a huge, horrible struggle! I really hope everything works out for you and your cute family. Try to keep your chin up, this too shall pass! Sending prayers your way!
ReplyDeleteThat's all craziness! I'm sorry :( I can't even imagine how stressful that must be! Love you guys, we hope that everything gets fixed super quickly! Take care!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness!!!
ReplyDeletethat is so horrible. i really hope things are getting better/going smoothly. floods are no fun. my mother-in-law's house flooded in september and it was crazy, and so much work. good luck!
ReplyDelete