Before our baby was born...way before. Like 15 hours before. :)
Just a couple minutes after Bridger was born.
Proud daddy. :)
Proud me. :)
Bridger. :)
So, Monday morning (Jan 3rd), we had a doctor's appointment. I was dilated to a two and 60 percent effaced, pretty much the same as last time, no big deal, right? ok. So...we left agreeing with the doctor that our baby would probably come around the 14th from the look of things. I dropped Jeremy off at work, he was way sad because he had had such a long break from work and had been talking to our baby to come on Monday so he could take paternity leave, up to this point, our baby didn't want to come yet, so he sadly got out of the car and I took off to go to Wal Mart to go grocery shopping. I finally got home and decided to take a nap and then I woke up around 11:15...and I thought I peed my pants!! I was like, what the heck, our baby isn't heavy enough to do that to me...but even after I went to the bathroom, it didn't stop. Like, seriously didn't stop. My water broke!! I was shaking and trying to stay calm because I really had no idea what to do, I called Jeremy and told him to come home, and then tried to control the mess that this situation was creating. Don't believe people who say that your water breaking is just a little "gush" and it isn't like the movies. It's all lies. Mine was JUST LIKE the movies. On the way to the hospital it just kept coming...and coming...and coming...my pants were filled up like a soup bowl and I was sitting on a towel. We were kinda rushing to get there so we didn't get to eat lunch and grabbed some english muffins but Jeremy was driving a little wild and when he turned a corner, his muffin flew from his pant leg right onto the crotch of his pants! Bwahahaha, he had a huge Jelly spot. By the time we got to the hospital I was wet from my belly button down to my knees, we started walking in to the hospital and Jeremy just started laughing. Guess why. I was steaming! How humiliating. Holy crap. Of course amniotic fluid is going to be way warm because the baby is in it, but when it is only 20 degrees outside the two just don't mix and I became a little steamer walking toward the hospital. Anyway, we got all checked in by about 12:30, then the waiting began. By 6 PM I had still not progressed to more than a two, and after the water breaks the risk of infection increases, so, the doctor wanted to start me on pitocin to see if we could get things moving. I was SOOO upset. I was intent on delivering and laboring naturally and I had heard horror stories about pitocin. I didn't really have a choice because I wanted our baby to be safe, so, they let me have some dinner and at 9 PM they started pitocin. After 13 hours on pitocin I was in so much pain and so worn out that I was saying things like "shoot me, just shoot me." and "I want a c-section." "just get the baby out." I was actually really calm, but Jeremy's fingers should probably be x-rayed because I was squeezing pretty dang hard. My parents were trying to help by rubbing my back and holding my hand and Jeremy was doing everything he could, but, I was so done that by 6:30 AM I decided to get a small dose of epidural to take the edge off so I could make it. I was dissapointed that I had to, because I really don't like that they are used so much, but in this case, it was necessary. I finally was able to take a short nap, and I was soon dilated to a 10. Now, you guys might think this is wierd but I wanted to deliver in a J-position with a mirror so I could see the baby being born, it also provided wonderful motivation to keep pushing! :) It was one of the most amazing experiences of my entire life. After only four pushes the baby was crowning and the doctor asked us if we wanted to touch the head, so we did, then I was even more determined and two pushes later our baby was here! The doctor layed him right on my chest and Jeremy announced that we had a new baby boy! We were SOO surprised, we thought it was a girl the whole time. Ha ha. Bridger Wilson Jarvis was born at 9:31 AM weighing 7 lbs 8 oz and was 19 inches long. Jeremy cut the umbilical cord and then they weighed him and everything, Jeremy also got to give him his first bath and followed him everywhere he went in the hospital, I thought it was so cute. :) Our baby never left the room without Jeremy being with him.
We are now learning lots about being parents and adjusting to having our little boy here, it's a little overwhelming those first few days but everyday I feel like I learn something new that helps. I haven't gotten a lot of sleep but I'm used to it now I think. I went from peeing four times a night to feeding our baby four times a night so it's kind of a trade off. :) ha ha. He is so dang cute. He makes the cutest faces and sounds and even when he explodes his diaper in the middle of the night me and Jeremy just start cracking up because it's so funny to hear that loud sound out of this little baby...maybe we're just delirious. He had a little jaundice the last couple days but hopefully it is going away, he really hates being under those bili lights (whoever designed them should get fired from designing). Anyway, he gets tested again tomorrow for the fourth time, his poor little heels. :( He was already back up to his birth weight at four days old, so I guess my milk is working for him, they say they should reach it by two weeks old.
One thing I learned from all of this is that even when you don't think you can do it anymore, you can. You really really can. I never would have thought I could labor naturally on pitocin for 13 hours, but I did it! I went without sleep for about 2.5 days and I kept thinking I couldn't get up one more time to feed him, but I did. The trials are the times when we learn the most about ourselves and we turn out to be stronger than we ever thought we could be, especially with the help of Heavenly Father. I now have something to look back on when I don't think I can keep going and it will help me make it. :) I will post more pictures soon!! :)
oh he is so cute! I'm proud of you for going so long! I'm scared for when I do it the first time. But that's awesome and I'm sure you and Jeremy will be great parents!!
ReplyDeleteI was going to ask, was the hypno-birthing class thing worth it? wasn't that what you guys decided to do?
Thank you for sharing your story. I was dying of curiosity. ;) Good work and good luck. You will learn a lot. Thank you for making such a beautiful baby boy to add to our family! LOVE you!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Kaylee and Jeremy! You'll make wonderful parents. I'm excited for you. And I loved reading your story. You're such a clever writer, Kaylee.
ReplyDeleteKaylee, i love your story...especially the "steaming" part. haha. Congratulations on the new little boy, you guys are the cutest parents!
ReplyDeleteThats one of the craziest labor stories I've ever heard! props for making it 13 hours! I'm so excited for you guys to be parents, its the best most rewarding experience ever.
ReplyDeleteBridger is soooooo handsome, he's SUCH a good looking newborn. I can't wait to watch him grow! keep postings lost of pictures I love to see them!
You are one tough cookie! Bridger is adorable! Thanks for inviting me to see your blog! You guys are awesome and Congrats on the new addition to the fam:)
ReplyDelete