Thursday, December 15, 2011
Why??
This is on my mind right now, and I needed somewhere to write it, so here it goes: Why do people get angry at and make fun of people who are trying to better themselves? I don't get it. You would think they would be happy for them, and I don't know, maybe say "good job!" or something...even if they didn't say anything, can't they just keep their guilt and thoughts to themselves? As many of you know (probably all of you) Jeremy is in the National Guard and works at Camp Williams, he works with a lot of really good guys, but Jeremy is just really different than a lot of them. He loves his job, but it is hard, especially because he deals with a lot of swearing and dirty talk all day from what he is doing (I can't really say...cause I am not aloud...ha ha) anyway, the other guys use what they do all day as an excuse to swear or watch movies that "shouldn't" be up to their par saying that, "we do this all day, why does it matter if I do/watch/say stuff?" Jeremy tells them that just because they do it for work doesn't mean he is going to go and "seek that kind of stuff out." He just gets really annoyed because they are always teasing him about stuff, because he doesn't just give in and lower his standards (most of the guys are LDS too, but don't really act like it). They literally tease him about everything...talking to his wife before he buys things, reading scriptures at work...only watching PG movies...and just about everything else an LDS person in the world trying to better themselves tries to do, for that matter, people don't even have to be LDS to better themselves (obviously) ANY person trying to better themselves might do these things. These guys really are awesome and their teasing isn't "mean" it's just a little too much and he gets tired of it. Yesterday they were trying to decide on a movie for the Christmas party today, Jeremy said, "I don't want to watch anything with violence, swearing, or sex." And all the guys just basically laughed...and guess what, today he texts me and says that they were watching some comedy show that was dirty and he can't even come home from the party, so he told me he was going to take a nap. I feel so bad. It's like he tries and tries and tries and people just won't leave him alone. He has even been called self-righteous by a family member, and I could tell that it really upset him (that person doesn't even understand him at all...). Why when people are trying to better themselves, do people believe they are just trying to think they are better than everyone else??? What do you do? Lower your standards to fit in with the rest of the world so they don't think you're better than them? Trying to be better everyday is a personal matter, it's not about trying to be better than your friends, coworkers, and family members. My theory is that those who get mad at people for things like this just feel guilty because they know they should be doing those things too?? Maybe. I have no idea. If anyone has any insight, please share. I'm frustrated. :p I do know though, that he is a great example, and he has had so many opportunities through the army to help people and do a lot of good, it makes me happy to know that he isn't just good for show, he is doing his best everyday even when it's hard to do the right things...it shows to me his true strength and his dedication to the Gospel. :) I guess it's the hard times that make your true self show...I sure love him. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ugh, I wish I knew what to say!! I am one of the only members in my family, and I have a lot of "Standards/rules"... and they treat me so bad, and it hurts. I know this isn't everyones answer, & it may not be the the right answer for you guys, but I push myself away, because I can't take the drugs, swearing, making fun of the church ect. But, prove them wrong, and pray for them, that's sometimes all I can do. People don't like different.... really, I think that's what it is, and these LDS guys know that they are wrong. So sorry, your husband is a great man, and together you two are even better, and now your little boy has the best of both of you! :)
ReplyDelete