Thursday, October 3, 2019

Roslyn Teresa Jarvis!! :)

We are happy to announce that Roslyn Teresa Jarvis has arrived!! She was born September 26, 2019 at 5:09 PM, weighing 7 lbs 5 oz and measuring 20 inches long. We are so grateful to have her here!


Before I get started on her birth story I need to add our 39 week appointment details! My belly measurement was 38 cm, her heartbeat was 138-146 BPM, and my blood pressure was 110/71, and I had gained about 27 lbs. We had a really good visit at Season's house for our appointment, although I was feeling a little anxious wondering about when she was going to decide to come!

This is long, get ready!

On Monday the 23rd (38 weeks 7 days/3 days before she was born), I felt like I needed to journal to try to release some emotional tension that I felt like might be holding my body back from going into active labor, so I wrote and wrote. I wrote down all my feelings and stresses that had built up, all my anxieties, and then I handed it over to the Lord. Let me just say that I think that really helped. 
Tuesday, I had our 39 week appointment, and Seasons and I talked again about some things I was still feeling worried about and that helped again. 

Wednesday afternoon I started feeling stronger pre-labor contractions, but I was still waiting for some other signs that I had noticed before labor with Benson and Anderson, so I wasn't sure if labor was really soon or not, but I was able to time them pretty consistently and I wasn't able to nap comfortably, so I called my mom and let her know and she decided that they were just going to go ahead and come up and figured that if this little one didn't come tonight she would probably come before the weekend. They got to our house late Wednesday night and went to bed. lol. I went to bed Wednesday night at 10:30 and slept until 12, and then woke up with stronger contractions that I couldn't sleep through, so I got up and turned on my Hypnobabies hypnosis tracks and listened to those while I stretched, and tried to stay super relaxed through them. They were getting pretty strong, and I felt so tired, but I didn't feel like it was active labor yet, so around 2 I tried to get back in bed and go to sleep. I started to worry that she had changed position and that's why the pre-labor was lasting like this, she had been on my left for over a month, and in the past day I felt like she had switched to the right, I wasn't sure if that was okay. I did sleep some more, but only got 4 hours of interrupted sleep for the entire night, so I was pretty tired.

Thursday morning Jeremy wakes up and smiles, "ten years, babe! Happy Anniversary!" But I just wasn't in the mood to celebrate our anniversary at that moment, I was all tired and frustrated from being up all night and still not knowing if labor was soon or not, so I said a tired "Happy Anniversary" back, Jeremy was a little disappointed that I wasn't more excited, but by the end of the day he completely understood why. :D LOL. We got up at our regular time, 7 AM, I went for my regular walk, my mom joined me, and I felt contractions that were strong enough that I had to slow down. I could tell they were consistent, but I didn't want to time them anymore, so I just kept it to myself. We got home and got ready to go to the chiropractor, on our way there I kept having them and it was actually kind of hard to drive! At the chiropractor I mentioned that I felt like she had switched sides, so he checked and, yep, her back was on my right and her head was so low in my pelvis that he said, "we don't see babies this low here, she's comin'!" lolol. I told him I was worried that she had switched sides and he just reminded me to trust my body, stretch how I feel I need to and trust that my body and my baby know how to do this. He gave me an amazing adjustment, he is the best. He knew I had been up all night and he just made me feel better about everything, he said he would adjust my atlas to get the oxytocin flowing, and made sure my body was all in line, the difference was amazing and his vibe always has us leaving his office in a better mood, lol. I texted Seasons after and asked her what she thought about baby's position and she said the right was just fine, too. So, I tried to just not worry about it and thought about the priesthood blessing I had received that said she would be born at the right time and in the right way, safe and healthy. My mom drove on the way home and once we got there she told me that her and my dad would take care of the boys so that I could rest, so I went in my room, changed into some comfy pants and turned on my Hypnobabies again, I knew I couldn't take a nap, because they were too uncomfortable. I started timing the contractions again and noticed they were only about 6 minutes apart, but I figured if they were going to pick up it would be that night because that's how all of my other labors had seemed to go. Jeremy was getting ready to go to the school to do homework and go to class in the evening, but I asked him to stay home, just in case, so he went downstairs to do homework (and it's a good thing!). I hung out in our bedroom, stretching, doing cat-cows, and just trying to stay super relaxed. The boys came in occasionally, Benson shared his blanket with me, and Anderson cuddled me for a little bit, it was sweet. I ate some lunch and chatted with my mom a little bit, then went back to our room. Around 12:30-1 PM they got closer, about 5 minutes apart, but they still felt really manageable so I just kept doing my thing, listening to my tracks, stretching, and staying chill. At 2:20 I came out and Jeremy and my mom asked how far apart they were, I told them about 4-5 minutes and I had also seen those two other signs of labor I was waiting for. Jeremy was feeling kind of panicked that I hadn't texted Seasons and let her know, I wasn't in a rush but he felt like I needed to, so I texted Seasons again and let her know that I had seen those other two signs I was waiting for and that I had been timing the contractions and they were about 5 minutes apart, she responded and said that it sounded like things were moving along, she asked how long they had been 5 minutes apart and if I thought it was active labor, and that's when I realized that with how consistent and strong they were, it probably was active labor! She told me to let her know when I was ready for her, and I said okay. :) I thought for sure we would have our baby in the night, like our others, so to realize I was probably in active labor in the middle of the day was quite a surprise and very different! lol. Jeremy was finishing up an assignment, and my mom went to the store around 3 PM, so I just came out for drinks, to chat a little bit and keep moving, and then I would go back to our bedroom by myself and stay super relaxed, stretching, and resting between them. They were getting stronger, but I had no idea how much longer it would be, so I just tried to stay in a really good place mentally, and I felt like since I hadn't had to have very much support from anyone yet that I still had a few hours or more. Soon after my mom left for the store, Jeremy finished his assignment and we got our bedroom ready for the birth, and then he started doing pressure points for me, that was a little after 3 PM. By this time, Jeremy kept asking when I was going to text Seasons to come, and I just kept saying I didn't feel like it was time yet. 
About an hour before she was born, around 4 PM. :)

Finally, they were getting pretty intense, Jeremy was doing back pressure and Seasons had mentioned that she had a TENS unit that could possibly help relieve some back pain. I decided to text her at 4 PM and told her they were 4-4.5 minutes apart and I wanted to try the TENS unit she had mentioned. She said she would be here soon. I had to really focus, the contractions felt strong, but I had always bled a little at transition because I dilate so fast at that point and I hadn't seen that yet, so I was just staying really calm and chill, thinking I still had a couple hours. Seasons got here around 4:30 PM and I had just had a really really strong one, and Jeremy told her, "that was one of those contractions." Seasons said, "you mean the kind that brings babies?" And he said yes, lol. Seasons checked on baby girl and her heartbeat was about 138 BPM, then she checked my blood pressure and things looked good, so she put the TENS unit on me and I felt like it helped with the back pain, which was awesome, but the contractions were so intense that I wanted Jeremy to keep pushing on my back just to distract me, lol. I had a few more that were only 3-4 minutes apart and Jeremy started asking me where I wanted to deliver the baby, I said I didn't know yet, thinking I still had awhile, but he started laying out the shower curtain liner on the floor because he was worried the baby was just going to pretty much fall out where I was standing in the next few minutes, LOL (I can't blame him, he caught Anderson and that's almost how it went). 

Jeremy doing pressure points for me, this is about 15-20 minutes before she was born.

I had one or two more and he was ready to help me get my pants off and ready and I was like, "not yet," and he's feeling kind of panicky that I'm closer than I think. So I have another one, and the last few have been so strong that I can literally just feel so much pressure, but I haven't said anything yet...and then the next one I felt like she was coming and I said I felt pressure. When I say that it means baby is coming quick, so Jeremy quickly helped me get ready and up on the bed and called for my mom (who was making dinner in the kitchen, lol). Seasons took off the TENS unit, which I only ended up using for a few minutes, lol. My mom came in and grabbed the camera to take pictures for us, my dad was watching the boys downstairs. I'd mentioned I wanted to try pushing on my side so baby wouldn't come quite as fast as Anderson had (I didn't want to tear like I did with him, lol), so I lay down on my side and it just didn't feel comfortable or right, and Seasons asked me if I wanted to try hands and knees, so I got up and knelt on our bed and they stacked a bunch of pillows up for me, I started pushing and I didn't feel my water break and wondered if I wasn't ready yet or what was going on, but it was so intense that I couldn't keep thinking about it. I felt her coming down and I reminded myself to breathe her out gently, trying to push gently and between contractions, and praying to Heavenly Father to help me do this, but it's so hard to go slow! I felt her crowning and so I tried to rest there, but it was only like three seconds and I couldn't wait any longer so I pushed and her head was out. Jeremy was waiting to catch her and supported her head while I waited another little bit and pushed again and she came right out and into Jeremy's hands. He handed her to me, she started to cry, but there was some fluid she needed to get out, so Seasons turned her over and I patted her back a few times and then she was crying so good!




I just laid down with her and cried while Seasons put towels over us, I was so relieved and grateful that she was finally here and in my arms. That feeling after giving birth is so empowering and amazing. I just held her and took her in and talked to her, her tiny hands were both up by her cheek and she was so beautiful and tiny and perfect. Jeremy got up on the bed with us and we both just took her in for awhile. It was amazing to be holding our baby girl finally, to feel her tiny, strong grasp around my finger, to see the tiny rolls on her arms, and her sweet, chubby cheeks. She calmed down pretty quick, within just a few minutes, so I went ahead and tried to get her to nurse to help the placenta come easier and she latched right on! She started nursing like a champ within five minutes of being born, and I was able to deliver the placenta just fine, with minimal bleeding. The midwife who works with Seasons, Melissa, showed up at this point, she hadn't had enough time to get to our house before I delivered our little one, lol. Their assistant showed up about ten minutes after Melissa and said hi and sorry that she missed it, but congratulations, lol.







My mom came over to meet her while she was nursing, and I asked her if she wanted to know her name, she'd been wanting to know it our whole pregnancy! lol. I told her that her name is Roslyn Teresa, Ros (pronounced roz)-after Grandma Rosemary Lee, Lyn-my middle name, and Teresa-after Grandma Brown. My mom had tears in her eyes when I told her, it was so sweet to share that with her. Roslyn nursed for a little while, and during that time my dad came in to meet her with Anderson, Anderson snuggled up between Jeremy and I on the bed for a few minutes and looked at her, but he wasn't too sure about things yet, lol.




Seasons and Melissa left Jeremy and myself alone with Roslyn for a little bit for some quiet time together, we just soaked her up, and talked about the whole birth experience and how amazing it had been, and how grateful we were for the Lord's hand in everything. Seasons and Melissa came back a few minutes later, the umbilical cord had stopped pulsing, so Jeremy cut the umbilical cord and then I handed Roslyn over to Jeremy while they checked to see if I needed stitches, there was only one tiny tear and we decided it would be better not to stitch it, so I didn't need stitches this time!! This is the first time ever!! I was so grateful, I had been praying to not tear as much this time, that was such a relief to hear. While Jeremy held Roslyn, Seasons and Melissa helped me get showered and cleaned up, and got our room all cleaned up. I got dressed and back in our bed and then we brought all the kids in to see the newborn check. The boys all got up on the bed with me and we watched while Jeremy and Seasons weighed and measured her, she also got a vitamin k shot that she was so brave for, and Jeremy cleaned up her first meconium poop, lol, that seems to be the tradition for him with our babies. :) After she was all done Seasons showed the boys the placenta and where the baby grew inside the sac, and then she turned it over and showed them how the veins look like a tree on the side that is attached to mom, they call it the "tree of life."





7 lbs 5 oz!


Seasons showing Jeremy how to measure her head. :)

14 inches!

Her chest measurement was 14 inches. :)

Her lungs sounded really good and clear.




After we finished, I dressed Roslyn and Seasons gave us some instructions, then we took our picture together, which is also tradition, and we talked about how things had gone. Seasons said she had been waiting for me to call, so when I said I wanted the TENS unit she knew I was close because I don't usually ask for help until I'm in transition. I am so grateful she mentioned the TENS unit earlier in the week, otherwise I'm not sure if I would have texted her with enough time for her to get here! She was only here for 30 minutes before I delivered our little one! I didn't realize I was so close. lol. Seasons also told us that as I pushed her out, once her head was out she saw that the amniotic sac was just barely coming away, so she crowned still en caul, which is amazing! That doesn't happen very often, and that's why I didn't feel my water break when I started pushing.

Seasons came back for our 24 hour visit the next day to check on baby girl and I. We chatted about the birth, did some tests and checks, and talked for over an hour, at the end she gave me a hug and said that we are her longest and favorite clients and that we needed to keep in touch and stop by to visit. I realized at that moment that these next two appointments will be our last working with her and it makes me so sad!! I love her, and I have to say how grateful I am for her. We felt strongly inspired to use a midwife when we got pregnant with Beckham, seven years ago. We started searching and got a solid referral from a friend down South, she recommended Cathy O'Bryant, and so we set up an appointment and she became our midwife for Beckham and Benson's pregnancies and births. Seasons was her assistant at that time, so along with getting to know Cathy (who we also love), we got to know Seasons really well over the years. Cathy retired after we had Benson, so when we got pregnant with Anderson she told us to call Seasons, and we did, we were happy because we already knew her and loved her. Seasons has now been our midwife for both Anderson's and Roslyn's pregnancies and births. I am so grateful to have gotten the opportunity to work with her, we have become very close friends and we love her. When we've had a baby, and then had our last appointment at six weeks, I cry because I won't get to see her all the time! At our appointments the boys play with toys or LeapPads, and we just sit and talk about anything and everything for an entire hour. She is knowledgeable and so kind. She has always been so amazing with me and our newborns, she handles them so gently and has always made me feel respected and strong, she encourages me to be intuitive and trust my body and I absolutely love it. She has also encouraged Jeremy to be involved, with Anderson's birth she asked if he wanted to catch him and he said yes. He was nervous, but she stayed right by him and guided him when he needed it and he did amazing. She asked if he wanted to catch Roslyn and he said yes again, and again he did amazing and she stayed right there supporting him. I feel that we have received the best care with her as our midwife and we will miss her so much! Birthing at home has given us some of the best and most inspired and spiritual experiences that we have ever had and I am so grateful for that. It has truly strengthened my faith and my relationship with my Savior and Heavenly Father. 

Jeremy, Me & Roslyn, Seasons, and Melissa

There were so many miracles, so many ways we have seen God's hand in our lives. Back in December we received very clear revelation that we needed to try for another baby, like, right away. We were both a little stressed at that thought, Anderson was only 9 months old at the time, but we trusted the Lord and went forward in faith. We got pregnant the first month we tried, when I was still nursing a lot, but we kind of felt like we would after receiving that direct inspiration. I was so worried about gaining too much weight, about being able to keep up with our schedule and our kids, I was worried about labor feeling too hard, about tearing a lot again, about how this pregnancy would go, and a lot of other things. Well, I was able to make it through that first trimester of morning sickness somehow, with His support. Then, at 19 weeks we saw on the ultrasound that we were having a girl! I can't even describe how we felt when we saw that. We also saw that the placenta was low-lying, which then stressed me out for the next 8 weeks until we went back to check if it had moved up. I received multiple blessings throughout this pregnancy reassuring me that things would go well and were functioning perfectly and that I needed to trust Him, so I did my best to not worry. We went back at 28 weeks and the placenta had moved up from low-lying by 6 cm and was no longer low-lying! I cried when we got in the car, I was so grateful. I still worried about it being anterior, if it would all be okay during labor and everything. I also measured a little small throughout this pregnancy, and I felt small, I thought she was going to be way small, but she was 7 lbs 5 oz! I was able to do everything I needed to do, with plenty of energy, which is amazing because Jeremy is so busy and really isn't home to help very much. I was more active this pregnancy than with any of our others, and my joints didn't get as achy and loose as early, I also didn't feel the restlessness in my legs like with the boys. All of these things really helped my mental state, my sleep, my energy, and my overall health and I am so grateful. At 36 weeks her heartbeat was really fast and the amniotic fluid seemed like it might be low, so we got another ultrasound, we prayed before we went because we were pretty worried, and again Heavenly Father showed us miracles and everything on the ultrasound looked just fine and she was growing well. I then found out that I tested positive for GBS, which completely caught me off guard. I had eaten excellent, and very mindfully, this entire pregnancy. I take an excellent vitamin and three different brands of probiotics that all have different strains. I couldn't believe it and it terrified me. I didn't want IV antibiotics during labor, and I didn't feel that the rinse that is offered is even viable. I upped my probiotics, started eating four servings of high quality yogurt per day, took raw garlic, apple cider vinegar, and coconut oil once, and then at that point I just got so frustrated and stressed I asked for another blessing. I was told that these complications would not affect our delivery or baby, to not worry about it, and that things would go smoothly and our baby would be born at the right time, in the right way, healthy and safe. And so I had to let my worries go and trust Heavenly Father. I quit taking the garlic, apple cider vinegar and coconut oil, and just trusted in Him. As we were getting ready for labor and birth I just felt so much anxiety, praying that I could handle it and have the right mindset, so I felt prompted to journal out the tension and it helped.

The Spirit inspired me to go ahead and call my parents to head up the night before, which is a big deal because baby girl was born at 5 PM the next day! It would have been SO hard to take care of the boys when I got into active labor by myself, and they were already here to help with the boys and my mom took care of dinner, which allowed Jeremy to be with me when I really needed him. The Spirit also inspired Seasons to mention the TENS unit at our appointment two days before, which is why I decided to text her to come when I did, if she hadn't mentioned that and I didn't text her at that point, she may not have made it to our house in time for the birth! I also see the fact that this little one was born in the daytime as a tender mercy, I had more energy and it helped my mindset. I also am very grateful because even though the contractions were intense, I felt like I could handle it, I was super calm and relaxed. With our others I would get to transition and ask to be checked every time because it would get so intense, and then it was quick, like 40 minutes to when I gave birth. I was waiting for that feeling this time (knowing I didn't want to ask to be checked so that there was less chance my water would break early, I prayed it would stay intact until I was ready to push to protect her from any harmful GBS or anything). They started getting so intense, and I wondered how long I could do it, but it was only about 40 minutes after that that she was born. And while pushing, my water stayed intact until her head was out, and then the amniotic sac broke. Seasons could see it coming away from her face. That is really rare and such a special blessing, especially when I was so worried about GBS. Jeremy was able to catch her, she was breathing well right away, and I didn't need stitches. It was beautiful and gentle and I felt the Spirit so strong with us. My heart is full of gratitude to the Lord, I can't say how grateful I am.

Benson and Beckham waiting to hold Roslyn after her newborn check. :)









The next morning! Beckham couldn't wait to snuggle her. :)


This is also the next morning, this is the perfect picture to show what he thought about things at first, lol. Sometimes he is not quite sure yet, and that's okay, but he gives her kisses all the time, it's so sweet. :)



1 day old. :)

1 day old. :)

2 days old. :)





3 days old. :)

She was a little jaundiced at 3 days, so we put her in a window and she absolutely LOVED the warm sunshine. :)

3 days old. :)
Beckham: *laughs* It looks like a propeller on her head. LOL *brothers*







4 days old. :) She is so sweet. I love all her fuzzy hair!! We think it might be the color mine was when I was born, a really light golden brown/blonde.

The boys all loved meeting her, and wanted to hold her and kiss her and snuggle her right away. Benson kept bringing little toys and pieces of his dinner to her, it is how he showed her he loved her and it was so sweet. They all took turns holding her and giving her loves, and of course Grandma and Grandpa Brown also got their chance to meet her, and when Aunt Brianna got there a little later she also took a turn. :)

First shopping trip at 5 days old. :) We had to buy the fabric for her quilt! She did so good!


Her first bath at 7 days old! :) She hated it.




All clean. :)

This sweet baby girl is now 7 days old!! I can't believe how fast it goes once they get here. My hormones have definitely been adjusting and my emotions have been up and down, but knowing she is probably our last baby has made it even more emotional this time. I savor every single second. I can already see how she's gotten a little bigger in just a week! I am so grateful to have her here, and for her brothers to meet her and get to know her, they absolutely adore her, and Jeremy gets tears in his eyes almost every time he holds her. I miss having her in my belly, feeling her little kicks and movements, being able to feel her little bottom at the top of my belly and feeling her back to know what position she was in. She favored the left side for over a month, and when I would sleep on my right she would kick into the bed until I turned back to my left, lol. I also really loved going for walks everyday for most of our pregnancy together. After I have my babies I miss having them so close and having that unique bond with them during pregnancy. I was definitely ready to have her here, though, too, and so relieved to have her in my arms. Like I said, my emotions are everywhere! We love her and are so grateful to have her in our family. :)

We have newborn pictures tomorrow, so I will post those as soon as we get them!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.