Thursday, September 14, 2017

California. :)

We went down to Indio, California for a week a couple weeks ago. I had been looking forward to having a vacation for months, but when we were actually there I realized that it is MORE work to be on vacation with our kids being so young. lol. Our family of five, my parents, sister, and my older sisters family of nine went...so we had 17 people! We had fun, but I had to take a week at home to recover after!




Indio is one of our favorite Worldmark places, they have a lazy river, a baby pool and a regular size pool and our kids LOVED it. I don't think it really felt like vacation until like Wednesday, though. Let me tell you why.

Monday we left from St. George, it was supposed to be a 6.5 hour trip, but traffic was the worst we had EVER seen it from Utah to California and we ended up with around a 10 hour trip. So, Monday wasn't really relaxing, but we did get there in time to make dinner and go to bed.

Tuesday we got to do down to the pool, but this was the first time taking all three kids to a pool and we had to work out some organizational kinks, lol. Like, we should have taken the stroller down with us, and the baby needed water shoes, and I needed sunscreen, and we brought too many floaties...and then the baby got tired super fast being out in the sun. I ended up taking him back to the room after a fiasco with the key cards and walking up to our room and back to the pool four times. GAH. lol. Anyway, we ended up having a good nap time and then my sister, my mom and I all headed to the store to get some groceries we needed. We got back right before dinner and hurried to get the kids fed. We were having baked potatoes and I hurried to get my three boys potatoes fixed and on paper plates. I put a plastic fork on each plate and they all sat at the table to start eating. As I started to make my potato, few seconds later I heard my dad say something about a piece of the fork in Benson's mouth and he couldn't find it, I immediately rushed over to swipe his mouth and it wasn't there. And then I panicked. I pulled Benson out of his chair because he had started crying and searched his mouth again, then tried to calm him down. It was chaotic, I searched through his food on his plate, hoping it had broken in his food and not in his mouth, but nothing. My parents had searched through Benson's clothes and his high chair and on the floor, nothing. I was absolutely terrified and I think everyone else was pretty shook up. Someone got us an address to an urgent care and we left within minutes, without a diaper bag or anything, I didn't even have my phone. My phone hadn't been charged, so my sister Jen sent her phone with me. I was trying to hold it together in the car. I couldn't believe that he had swallowed part of a plastic fork prong. I was just praying and praying and Jeremy was driving wild to get to the urgent care before it closed, but the address led us to some gated community, so then we had to find a new location. All of the urgent cares closed at 8 PM and it was after 8, so we googled an 24 hour urgent care and headed there. We walked in and it was packed full of people. We were so uncomfortable. Here in Utah you get used to...Utah. lol. In Southern California, especially in this urgent care, we were the only white people and we stuck out like a sore thumb. Even the directions on the sign-in sheet were in Spanish. After we signed in we just tried to find an empty place somewhere to stand, then this man offered me his seat, which was super nice. It was already way past Benson's bedtime and he started getting super fussy, but I wouldn't let him down because that's nasty. So Jeremy and I took turns holding him to keep him calm. While we were there Jeremy called our after-hours pediatrician and they told us that it should be okay, but to get his oxygen checked to make sure he was breathing okay. Finally they called us over to the desk and she asked what we were there for and I told her. The lady freaked out and ran to tell the doctor, who promptly told her to tell us that we needed to go to the ER because the fork prong is sharp. So, that didn't help my anxiety. While we were waiting we had taken Benson back out to our van, Jeremy had his consecrated oil and he gave him a blessing. That blessing helped me feel so much better, and he was blessed to be safe and grow healthy and strong. I was able to feel an underlying comfort from the Spirit that he would be okay. At that point we had to decide if we really needed to go to the ER, we finally decided to just go to make sure his oxygen was okay and see what they said. Going to the ER is already a stressful experience, but when we walked into this Southern California emergency room at JFK Memorial I almost turned around and left. It was packed full of people and looked scary. There was a security guard at a desk watching everyone in this small waiting area, no one was even allowed to stand up. It felt like a prison and I almost had a panic attack. I went ahead and filled out the paperwork and signed him in, still praying. Then we waited and waited, with sick people everywhere, and Benson was getting fussier by the minute. By this time it was around 9:30 (10:30 Utah time), and he was DONE. Added to all this...he had a huge, soggy diaper and his hair was really greasy from the oil because too much came out of the little vial and soaked his hair, I had no drink or food for him and he had dinner food all over his shirt and face, so I'm sure we looked like a sight. After awhile, they took his vitals and he got really upset, then they sent us back out to the waiting area. He finally passed out and awhile later they finally called us back. There was no private room or anything, we stood in a little hallway off the main hallway of the ER. The doctor was really nice and gentle, he checked the inside of his mouth and throat and asked us some questions. He said that it should pass just fine, that an x-ray probably wouldn't show anything because it's plastic. He asked if he had eaten or drank anything and he hadn't, so he gave us some pediasure and sent us back out to the waiting area to make sure he could still breathe okay after drinking and eating something. He gulped that stuff down and finally, awhile later, they sent us home. I was feeling much better, but there are still those nagging worries and I had a really hard time putting him to bed that night and going to sleep. I don't think I've ever felt that anxious for that long in my life. I think my nerves were just fried from the exhausting night. When Jeremy and I got back we ate some really late dinner, since neither of us had eaten before we left and we just talked, trying to calm ourselves and chill out.

The left broken prong is the one he swallowed. Jeremy broke the one on the right. We carried this fork around all night, lol.

Needless to say, we are no longer using plastic forks.

Then next two days I tried not to worry, but I tried to imagine a fork prong in my little baby, going through his system, and I kept freaking myself out. He finally pooped Thursday morning and I am grateful and happy to say that we found it! I was so happy, lol!! I am so grateful it passed without hurting him, and that even though he swallowed it, he didn't choke on it. I see Heavenly Father's hand in this and am more grateful than I can say for priesthood blessings, guidance and for the comfort of the Spirit.

The rest of the week we spent swimming and, after the kids went to bed, played games as adults. Bridger and Beckham LOVED the pool so much!! They never wanted to leave. Beckham is a little fish and wanted to keep jumping in the pool, over and over and over. Bridger has started to really love playing with his cousins now that he can swim better in the pool, and they spent quite a bit of time playing over the week. I also heard that Grandpa Brown tried to teach them to play chicken, so they were up on his and Aunt Brianna's shoulders, but instead of just pushing, they started like actually punching and fighting. LOL. I just laughed, because I find them fighting at home often.

We left Saturday morning and headed back to Hurricane, then left Hurricane Sunday morning to come home. The boys did surprisingly well on both the drive there and the drive back, I was so proud of them!

I thought it was cute how Beckham snuggled up to Bridger. :)

Aunt Brianna loved playing with Benson in the water the whole week.

Aunt Brianna and Benson. :)

Jeremy, though. LOL. He hates cold water, but he got in the pool because he's an amazing daddy and wanted to play with his boys. :)

I am now totally fine if we don't go on another big vacation for at least a few years. LOL. It was fun, but it was stressful! Needless to say, we are happy to be home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.